Manifest is seeking a dynamic, highly organized, detail-oriented, and energetic person to fill the position of Office Manager. The ideal candidate will play an important integral role in the operational management of this vibrant non-profit arts organization with an international presence, will work directly with the Executive Director, Exhibition Coordinator, Drawing Center Coordinator, and the Board of Directors, while also being a self-starter working independently. This is a full-time high-level administrative position. Currently the position is supported by one part-time Administrative Assistant.
The Office Manager is a hub of activity, communications, and action at Manifest. Training or equivalent experience in office management, organization, and bookkeeping is a must. The ideal candidate will bring existing knowledge and skill while also being an eager learner with a very positive attitude. Candidates must be highly organized and detail-oriented, while also being effective at time and task management, prioritizing, and juggling responsibilities, must understand and support the mission of the organization, and should have at the very least a basic interest in the visual arts and an investment in their place in society. It is preferable that applicants have experience in editing and writing, grant writing, and be familiar with non-profit operations.
Candidates must be flexible to accommodate occasional special events/needs and gallery staffing needs. The position offers the chance to interact with visual artists from all over the world, as well as a vibrant local community, and to be a central part of the creative energy at Manifest and Woodburn Avenue. The opportunity to help shape Manifest as it prepares its long-range plan, and to influence operations for the coming years is a unique benefit. Position
: Office Manager (Administrator) Location
: 2727 Woodburn Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45206 Hours
: 40 hrs/week (full time) Salary
: $16 / hr Reports to:
Executive Director Application Due
: Applications accepted immediately until position is filled.
Start Date Goal: On or before March 2nd (a transition period for training and orientation will be established) Responsibilities Include
• Coordinate with Executive Director, Exhibition Coordinator, Drawing Center Coordinator in daily
• Manage routine bookkeeping, reconcile monthly bank statements, and work with Executive Director and other staff on the planning and monitoring of yearly budget. Also responsible to work with CPA to fulfill tax and employee requirements each year, as well as managing payroll, income tax, and sales tax payments.
• Develop and maintain distribution channels for Manifest’s publications and oversee this distribution.
• Work to maintain a grants ‘radar’, overseeing deadlines, application materials, and grant-writing
activities. Maintain/coordinate an ongoing grant reporting process (collaborating with Executive
• Assist with events, oversee sales procedures, train interns and other staff on sales procedures, and manage some of Manifest’s PR efforts.
• Oversee/organize postal mailings, including postcards, posters, membership campaigns, and donor acknowledgments.
• Manage and fill all internet book orders (via Paypal and Amazon.com).
• Work with and supervise student interns and/or volunteers each week, working in tandem with
Exhibition Coordinator & Drawing Center Coordinator as appropriate.
• Routine office tasks including ordering/purchasing of supplies, inventory, equipment, etc.
• Work with Executive Director on the production of Manifest Press publications. Prepare and proof text and communicate with artists as necessary.
• Work with Executive Director on curatorial related artist communications and jury processing.
• Handle book inventory, storage, organization, and corresponding planning.
• Maintain accurate records and statistics for Manifest’s activities, programs, funders, including historical documentation and various databases.
• Oversee the upkeep of an effective filing system for paper and digital documents.
• Be a first-contact for the Manifest Artists in Residence who are working on-site in the MAR (residency studios).
• Oversee the maintaining of professional appearance of all public and staff spaces, in tandem with the Exhibition Coordinator.
• Effectively communicate and delegate tasks to the part-time Administrative Assistant. Qualifications
• Strong organizational and verbal/written communications skills.
• Skilled in use of Quickbooks for bookkeeping, and other financial management processes.
• Skills with word-processing and text editing are essential.
• Be smart, perceptive, eager, asker of good questions but also able to find solutions independently, balanced, able to go from seeing details to the big picture and back again with ease.
• Experience in office management, setting and meeting priorities, leading staff, and making very efficient use of time.
• Be a self-starter with strong initiative and work ethic, and able to make effective decisions.
• Comfort and familiarity with the Macintosh operating system, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email processing, Apple Pages, Numbers, Acrobat Pro, Quickbooks, Google Docs and Calendar, iCal, and other scheduling and planning technology. Some experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and InDesign is a plus, but not required.
• Comfort with email as a primary means of communication both internally and externally.
• Comfort with using social media in a professional context.
• A friendly, outgoing demeanor and a desire to contribute to Manifest’s ongoing growth into an exciting and mature organization are essential.
• Position requires at least a bachelor's degree and at least two years office or management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Summary of Essential Responsibilities
PR/marketing Summary of Essential Skills
Working within deadlines, and both long and short-term time cycles
Verbal and written skills, editorial
Attention to detail
People skills, staff management, public information, artist contact
Space management, storage, office, presentation, inventory
Statistics/data management, archiving, access
Teamwork and solo work combined
Thinking systematically Summary of Work Areas
Support To Apply
Email your current resume, cover letter, and three references to:
Manifest (Attn: Jason Franz) firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Office Manager Position Application
Please note: applications should be sent through e-mail only, in the form of a single PDF attachment containing all relevant materials.
No phone inquiries please About Manifest
Founded by students and professors in May of 2004, Manifest Creative Research Gallery and Drawing Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit arts organization headquartered in the urban neighborhood of East Walnut Hills in Cincinnati, Ohio. The elegant street-level exhibition space is minutes away from downtown Cincinnati, and the numerous academic institutions of higher learning in the region. It is also within easy walking distance of a diversely populated historic neighborhood with residents from all walks of life. The galleries are free and open to the public five days a week, presenting works by students and professionals from all around the world. The
Manifest Drawing Center is located about 7 miles away in Madisonville. Manifest is supported by grants and public donations and has the goal to support student professionalism, integrate the arts into the urban residential community and raise the bar on artistic standards. The mission also includes the exploration of the relationship between art and design, as well as the ongoing support and display of drawing in all its various forms. Mission Statement
Manifest stands for the quality presentation, experience, and documentation of the visual arts, engaging students, professionals, and the public from around the world through accessible world-class exhibits, studio programs, and publications. Manifest Gallery
serves as a venue for the display and experience of quality-vetted contemporary visual art made by local, national, and international artists, including students and professionals. Manifest Drawing Center
promotes and explores drawing as a rich and culturally significant art form through the pursuit of creative scholarly activities and instruction. Manifest Press
documents the organization's collaborations with artists through artfully designed publications and has the goal to make the organization's projects accessible for public availability everywhere, including outside its own geographical radius. The Manifest Artist Residency
supports artists in making art and engaging the general public by providing an optimal working space and dynamic environment for meaningful growth.
To learn a lot more about Manifest, its programs, supporters, and people visit:http://www.manifestgallery.org