: Executive Director DEPARTMENT
: Executive REPORTS TO
: Artistic Director/CEO (AD/CEO) FLSA STATUS
: Exempt, Salaried, Full-Time Employee Position Summary
As a senior executive, the Executive Director (ED) will provide leadership and supervision in overseeing the organizational advancement efforts, including external affairs, government advocacy, and day to day operations of communications, marketing, sales and ticketing, media relations, and development. The ED with support from the AD/CEO and COO will be responsible and accountable for developing, implementing and managing Cincinnati Ballet’s (CB) strategic plan. The ED works alongside the AD/CEO and COO to support the company’s drive for excellence in artistic and operational standards. Direct Reports
Director of Development, Director of Marketing and Communications, Director of Education Outreach and Director of Sales and Ticketing Services. Relationship to AD/CEO
The ED will report weekly to the AD/CEO and when appropriate, to the Board of Trustees, pertaining to all areas of responsibility. The ED and the AD/CEO will work together to grow CB’S donor base and support for operating and major initiatives. Relationship to COO
All budgetary and finance activities are realized through the budgeting process, which involves all departments working closely together, i.e. Development, Marketing, Artistic, Production, Academy, Finance and Education Outreach. The ED, COO and the CSO Finance Department together coordinate this effort and report progress and projections on a weekly basis to the AD/CEO and on a monthly basis report to the Board of Trustees. Development Responsibilities
The ED is primarily responsible for relationship management with a focus on developing deep personal relationships with current and high potential major supporters. The ED oversees and drives fundraising efforts among individuals, corporations, foundations, volunteer organizations and ArtsWave to secure support for operating needs, special initiatives, capital projects and endowment and provides a full suite of patron benefits. The ED has accountability for achieving fundraising goals.
• Oversees the development, implementation and management of the CB’s fund raising strategies and their execution; including increasing foundation support, developing new sources of government funding, expanding individual donor giving and establish a donor benefit program in coordination with the Director of Development.
• Develop in concert with Director of Development, a sound development plan and set of procedures designed to ensure good working relationships between Development, Marketing and Sales and Ticketing.
• Work with the development staff to create and implement a planned giving campaign.
• Work with major donors, Board of Trustees, AD/CEO, Director of Development and Chair of the Endowment Drive, to increase CB’s endowment.
• Oversee CB fundraising mailings, including mailing list and electronic listserv maintenance, grant writing and coordination of proposal submissions and funder reports, communication, and compliance in coordination with the Director of Development.
• Report regularly to the development committee and CB Board on the progress of fundraising efforts.
• Inspire accountability in the development team to meet all contributed income goals in coordination with the Director of Development.
• Attend events, CB performances, studio, dress rehearsals, performances, CB’s special events, and other cultivation opportunities in the community such as galas, dinners and lunches.
• Establish strong relationships with community and regional, state and federal government officials to strengthen and build CB’s positive image and support for its mission. Use external presence and relationships to garner new relationships.
• Lead solicitation of top level prospects.
• Structure AD/CEO “asks” to prioritize on major projects and important initiatives for CB.
• Oversee corporate fundraising for annual support and special projects; work closely with other senior development managers in establishing corporate funding priorities and advising them on trends in the philanthropic world. Appropriately cultivate corporate donors.
• Provide oversight for special events to find new funding opportunities and establish buzz and community awareness of CB.
• Organize, train, motivate and support staff, trustees and volunteers to represent the company in the community. Communications/Public Relations and Marketing Responsibilities
The ED is responsible for overseeing the creation and implementation of a marketing, communications and public relations plan; to include media relations, annual reports, company advertising, marketing campaigns and customer communication.
• Serve as secondary spokesperson for CB, assuring proper representation of CB to the community.
• Expand and enhance CB’s ticket sales and marketing programs to ensure continued development of present and future audiences as well as regional and national awareness of CB through institutional marketing strategies.
• Oversee the establishment of annual marketing plans; review and support effective branding, prioritize on opportunities for institutional marketing, implement new technology and social networking, oversee website management, the negotiation of media contracts, and stay on the forefront of public engagement and analysis of consumer dynamics in coordination with the Director of Marketing and Communications.
• Support and lead the marketing and box office team to attain all ticket sale goals.
• In concert with the AD/CEO and other appropriate staff create, manage and implement annual communication plans to raise the visibility of CB, its programs and its interests. Strategic Planning Responsibilities
The ED is responsible, in collaboration with the AD/CEO and COO for creating, communicating, executing, and sustaining CB’s strategic plan aligned with the organization’s artistic and business goals for growth.
• Lead an integrated strategic planning process for staff, board, and community leaders by bringing a strong analytical foundation to attain CB’s vision and the establishment of priority activity.
• Partner with constituents to develop building blocks for strategic growth – long term and short term goals.
• Orchestrate brand planning with strategic planning for CB’s administrators, the community and volunteer structure.
• Ensure all deliverables required from each segment, internally and externally, are met in an efficient and timely manner.
• Develop and communicate strategy execution plans that are easily digestible by employees and manage resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
• Identify opportunities to constantly improve the quality of thinking applied to the business and artistic success of CB.
• Engage department heads in vision and strategy discussions to ensure input and buy-in.
• Hold department heads accountable to the strategic plan by setting clearly defined goals for each department and then measuring the results against the goals.
• Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence and rigorous program evaluation, with linkages to the overall mission/vision and strategy of the Ballet.
• Ensure that programs address community needs while also promoting CB. Education and Outreach Support
The ED and the Director of Education Outreach (DEO) will work collaboratively to extend the regional presence of CB, to bring hope and joy to our community through the power and passion of dance.
• Oversee the institution's educational activities to ensure successful integration into the overall mission and long range plans of the CB.
• Expand education and outreach efforts, with the Director of Education Outreach.
• Develop with the DEO, plans to grow CincyDance Scholarship program in line with Academy growth.
• Ensure CB is continuing to grow programs that include special needs children.
• Develop clear, consistent means for measuring impact with the support of the DEO, development department and ArtsWave.
• In collaboration with the COO and DEO, develop a collaborative vision to promote CB’s Education and Outreach programs.
• Work with Director of Development to generate funding of all aspects of CB’s Education and Outreach programs. Board Support
• Serve ex-officio on Board of Trustee committees, including nominating, development, marketing, executive and other committees as needed.
• Support and provide Board of Trustees with adequate information to help Trustees reach sound decisions and establish necessary and required policies that will promote the organization’s overall mission.
• Collaborate with the board, collectively and individually, and work in partnership with the board development committee to increase the board's fundraising capacity and effectiveness.
• Assist the Board in articulation of CB’s vision and mission and its own role and accountabilities and that of its committees and individual members and help evaluate Board performance regularly.
• Work with the Board Chair to support the Board’s governance functions and facilitate the best performance by the Board, its committees and individual Board members.
• With the Board Chair focus Board attention to long-range strategic issues and fundraising. •
Organize a Sustaining Trustees program.
Valued Leadership Qualities
• Operate with a team approach to instill a culture of mutual respect, trust and enjoyment.
• Recognize contributions (time, wealth and ideas) made by all stakeholders.
• Encourage creative problem solving by showing respect for differing opinions and perspectives.
• Ability to articulate a vision and a passionate resolve to attain goals.
• Leadership skills and strong reputation for building successful teams.
• High energy and enthusiastic with a compelling presence.
• Team Builder, Team player and superior listening and communication skills.
• Intact ego, easily gives other people credit. Qualifications
• A commitment to the highest ethical standards and integrity.
• Successful experience in top management of a performing arts organization is preferable, but proven leadership success in business, coupled with a passionate regard for the arts and significant knowledge or involvement with an arts organizations is also acceptable.
• Has demonstrated knowledge of business operations, budgeting, and financial planning.
• Proven success in leading significant fundraising campaigns.
• Superior oral and written communication skills.
• Strong reputation for building successful teams.
• Possess knowledge and interest in ballet and sensitivity to the importance of artistic excellence.
• Positive attitude and ability to be conducive to dealing effectively with various individuals and diverse groups to develop consensus.
• Entrepreneurial spirit – essential.
• Strategic thinker with the ability to tactically implement. About Cincinnati Ballet
Since 1963, Cincinnati Ballet has been the cornerstone professional ballet company of the region, presenting a bold and adventurous array of classical, full-length ballets and contemporary works, regularly with live orchestral accompaniment. Under the artistic direction of Victoria Morgan, Cincinnati Ballet has become a creative force within the larger dance community, commissioning world premiere works and exploring unique collaborations with artists as diverse as Grammy winning guitarist Peter Frampton and popular, Ohio-based band Over the Rhine. With a mission to inspire hope and joy in our community and beyond through the power and passion of dance, Cincinnati Ballet reaches beyond the stage in programs that allow every person in the region to be part of the continued evolution of dance. To that end, Cincinnati Ballet presents exhilarating performances, extensive education outreach programs, offers top level professional ballet training at Cincinnati Ballet Otto M. Budig Academy and recreational dance to students of all ages.
Cincinnati Ballet has experienced rapid growth, going from a $4.9MM operating budget in 2009-2010 to a $7.26MM in 2014-2015. In celebration of Cincinnati Ballet’s 50th Anniversary Season in the 2013-2014 Season, the company toured to New York and performed at the famed Joyce Theater, produced its first historical table-coffee book, and created a major new full length ballet, King Arthur’s Camelot. Purpose
: We exist to move you - profoundly and joyfully! We believe
• Dance expresses a humanity that can be felt by everyone
• Collaboration ignites new possibilities.
• A disciplined approach is essential to success and creativity. Application Process:
Please submit your written expression of interest and relevant experience directly to our confidential email address: HR@cballet.org
. Likewise, if you have questions, please email them directly with your contact phone number and an executive member of the Cincinnati Ballet will follow up with you shortl