Director of Communications Location:
ArtWorks Administrative Office, 20 E. Central Pkwy, Cincinnati, OH Hours
: Full time Rate of Pay
: Salary, starting at $40,000 (commensurate with experience level); Employee benefits package includes health insurance, paid time off and savings plan. Reports to
: VP, Institutional Advancement Start date
: August 2015
: The Director of Communications will be responsible for ArtWorks marketing, communications and public relations, and will help drive the strategy, planning and creative development for all of ArtWorks communications and fundraising initiatives. Responsibilities
· Lead, manage and implement the communication plan and calendar, aligning with fundraising objectives, for all of ArtWorks external communications including:
o ArtWorks website copy, messaging and plug-ins, (WordPress), mobile applications, and monitoring new trends.
o ArtWorks eNewletters (Constant Contact) and ArtWorks Blog.
o ArtWorks social media strategy (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) and monitoring new platforms appropriate for organizations development goals (Pinterest, Snapchat, etc.)
o The creation and distribution of ArtWorks Annual Report (eBook plug-in, PDF and print.)
o Making appropriate media-buys for ArtWorks events and fundraising objectives.
· Lead and implement the marketing and communications to support ArtWorks key fundraising initiatives including:
o the annual Adopt an Apprentice Campaign, ArtWorks Annual Breakfast, Power2Give online fundraising messaging, Public Art project based fundraising efforts (Murals, Queen City Art Racks, Hero Design Company), Creative Enterprise, Annual Fundraisers, and other projects based mailers.
o Collaborate with Design Manager and leadership team to create all event and campaign themes and naming conventions annually.
· Lead ArtWorks media relations efforts, including:
o Develop fresh, newsworthy pitches and successfully garnering media exposure (print, TV, radio, online and social.)
o Create and distribute all press releases to appropriate media outlets.
o Proactively meet with and call reporters and writers to continue/develop close relationship and trust.
o Successfully represent ArtWorks during media interviews and select appropriate individuals for media presence – developing and providing talking points to ensure ArtWorks desired messaging is achieved.
· Continuously evaluate and improve organizational messaging, ensuring that all three programming initiatives (Public Art, Creative Enterprise, ArtRx) are optimally integrated and reflected across all of ArtWorks communication materials.
· Manage budget line items associated with communications, design and marketing.
· Oversee brand guidelines and Communication Standard Operating Procedures; communication of changes to staff.
· Oversee all external communications ensuring they are cohesive, consistent and visually compelling.
· Ensure all samples of all campaign pieces, event promotions, public art project photos, collateral, and earned press coverage are documented (physical and electronic) for easy access and review.
· Manage relationship and communications with all of ArtWorks strategic marketing partners (photographers, printers, website firm, etc.) as well as internships/volunteers from local universities.
· Effectively collaborate with Development & Communications department, frequently working with the Design Manager for all print and electronic communication needs.
· Support Grants Manager to ensure creative, effective communications tools can be included in Grant Applications. Provide copy review, recommendations and editing support for all of ArtWorks grant applications.
· Support all other Development and Programming communications needs throughout the year. The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications, characteristics and abilities
· Must possess clear understanding of effective non-profit communications and marketing to accomplish fundraising goals and further advance the organizational mission.
· Must demonstrate an ability to develop creative and playful marketing copy and communications to effectively represent a brand and reach audiences for successful fundraising (or sales) initiatives.
· Hands-on experience in new media including internet marketing, viral marketing, social media, eNewsletter and blogs; experience with website design and content development (experience working with WordPress and Constant Contact a plus.)
· Must be able to demonstrate proactive, deadline-driven leadership with ability to take initiative, balance priorities and meet deadlines.
· Must have experience working with Cincinnati area media outlets to develop story pitches and garnering PR and media for non-profit organizations. Must be successful at representing organization in media interviews as well as aligning and scheduling the appropriate individuals for media interviews. Experience with Arts & Culture and National Media outlets a plus.
· Ability to manage and modify communications plan per Google Analytics and Constant Contact data and generated reports.
· Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
· Possess experience leveraging new media tools to develop effective presentations and collateral.
· Must have a good design sensibility.
· Excellent organizational, problem-solving and decision making skills.
· Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively with teams and committees.
· Strong written, verbal and telephone communications skills.
· Confidence with public speaking and making presentations.
· Skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Photoshop or other design programs.
· Comfortable working with trustees, volunteers, individuals, clients and staff.
· Experience and ease meeting and socializing with people from diverse backgrounds.
· Manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity.
· Excellent personal and professional references.
· Available for special events, with occasional weekend/evening work. The successful candidate will
· Work collaboratively with and in support of all ArtWorks team-members.
· Adhere to the utmost ethical standards, intuitive, considerate and kind.
· Have a passion for the arts, community, education, creative enterprise and promoting healing through art.
· Have a driver’s license and personal transportation.
· Be an excellent representative of ArtWorks.
· Be a team-player, hard-working and an independent achiever with a “can do” attitude, must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines.
· Be flexible, optimistic, constructive with a good sense of humor.
Credentials and Experience:
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Business Administration
· Minimum of three (3) years of experience working as a marketing professional
· Experience working with a non-profit arts organization or related field
About ArtWorks: Founded in 1996, ArtWorks trains and employs local youth and talent to create art and community impact. ArtWorks’ vision is to be the creative and economic engine which unites citizens to transform our region through public art, such as their award-winning mural program, art therapy, and creative enterprise initiatives. To date, ArtWorks has hired over 2,700 area youth and 700 professional artists, and has trained over 240 creative entrepreneurs. ArtWorks is grateful for the support of many individuals and organizations, including the City of Cincinnati, the Carol Ann and Ralph V. Haile, Jr./U.S. Bank Foundation, the generosity of community contributions to the ArtsWave Campaign, and the Ohio Arts Council. To learn more or to support ArtWorks, visit ArtWorksCincinnati.org.
To apply: Interested candidates should send resume, cover letter and two writing / grant samples via e-mail to Teresa Hoelle at Teresa@ArtWorksCincinnati.org
by July 15, 2015.
ArtWorks is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where a variety of backgrounds, cultures, orientations, ideas, and talents can flourish.